Thursday, August 7, 2008

Breathing

I don't have time to write much now, but I did want to mention something about breathing while doing the body weight exercises - it's just as important as if you were doing training with real weights. In fact, proper breathing during exercise feeds your muscles with the essential oxygen (O2) that your body needs to perform. So breath! I find that prior to a hard exercise (e.g., the L Seat or handstand pushups) I take a few deep, really deep fill your lung breaths. I also exhale completely. These are techniques that I learned while practicing yoga and in fact work in all facets of training. Not only does the breathing increase you available O2 to your muscles, but I find it also allows me to concentrate on the exercise/challenge at hand. There is some data to support these ideas: see here for general info. 

No comments: